Sunday, May 31, 2009

When Asked "What Do You Do?"

Over the years, I have read a lot of material on answering the question "What Do You Do?". Most of the articles I have seen all want to talk about crafting short, concise "elevator speeches" which contain a USP (unique selling proposition).

My approach has generally been different for a few reasons. The primary reason I didn't like these other approaches was that it started to make it about me. I always like to keep it about the other person so that I may get to know as much about them and as quickly as I can. As stated in earlier articles, I am all about it being about the other person. My intent is to do all I can to help them and not to worry about myself.

The second reason, is having a USP or any other selling proposition just doesn't seem to make sense. You can not sell anyone in 30 seconds or less, at least today, as it is about doing business with people we know, like and trust.

In a new networking group I was asked to help get started, I have had the privilege to get to know Roland DesJardins (@flyingfrenchman in Twitter), a business coach. We share many of the same ideas about the proper way to network. He has written a great entry in his blog, entitled "So What Do You Do?" Take time to read it. I think you will agree, as I do, that it is a great way to answer the question, "What Do You Do?".

-------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright © 2009, Bill Hurlbut

If you like this article, Follow me on Twitter.

0 comments: